In Moodle you can create assignments where students work in groups and each group makes an assignment submission. For example, students in a group can submit one file that represents their joint work. Any group member can download, modify, and re-upload a file, or edit a text entry.
Create a Grouping of Student Groups
Before configuring a group-based assignment activity, you must first create Groups for your students and put those groups in a specific Grouping:
- Create Groups of students.
- Create a Grouping to contain your student Groups.
Enable Group Submission
- On your course page, click Turn editing on (top right).
- Add a new assignment activity, or Edit settings for an existing Assignment. The New/Update Assignment page will open.
- Configure the General, Availability, Assignment type, etc., for the assignment.
- Click Group submission settings to view the Group submission options, and from the Students submit in groups drop-down menu, select Yes.
- (Optional) Require all group members submit (See Configure Group Submissions below).
- From the Grouping for student groups drop-down menu, select the Grouping you created for your student groups.
- Under Common module settings, from the Group mode drop-down menu, select Separate groups or Visible groups, and from the Grouping drop-down menu, select the Grouping used in the previous step.
Note: This step is especially important if you are assigning different Assignment activities to different groups in your course. But even if everyone in the course is assigned the same activity, choosing Common Module settings here will make grading the assignment easier (see Grade Student Submissions below).
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Save and return to course.
Configure Group Submission Options
The following additional options in the assignment's settings allow you to configure the process by which students submit their group work:
- In Submission settings, Require students click submit button: (Default is No.)
If set to Yes, students in the group must click a "Submit" button to formally indicate that their work is ready for grading, after which they can no longer modify their submission. The default (No) accepts their submission as soon as anyone submits it. They can change their submission at any time.
- In Group submission settings, Require all group members submit: (Default is No.)
This option is enabled only when Require students click submit button is set to Yes.
The default setting (No) allows any member of the group to submit on behalf of the group. Changing this to Yes means that all students in the group must click the "Submit" button to indicate that they all have signed off on the submission.
Grade Student Submissions
- On your course page, click the link to the assignment activity you want to grade. The Assignment page will open, showing the Grading summary and Submission status.
- Click View/grade all submissions. The Assignment submissions page will open.
- From the Separate groups or Visible groups drop-down menu, select a Group to grade. The page will reload to show only the students from that Group.
Note: The groups drop-down will not appear unless you have completed step 7, above (Common module settings).
- Click the Grade icon next to a specific student's submission from the Group. The submission Grading page will open.
- Provide a grade and feedback comments as you would normally.
- If you would like your grade and feedback to only be provided for an individual student, under Group submission settings, set the Apply grades and feedback to entire group setting to No. If set to Yes, the same grade and feedback will to be applied to all students in the group.
- Scroll down to the bottom and click Save changes.